Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Blog Post 11

     I really enjoyed the essay Crumbling Expectations. This whole essay is a great way to share what is going on in the family without actually saying or explaining what is going on. I find this kind of writing very interesting and I wish I was better and writing things this way. For instance he is talking about a book and a resort but really he is talking about his family and how they are falling apart. I enjoy the part where he talks about the books that he read as a child, but he didn't understand them at the time, but they were his friends. I can relate to that when I was younger I always read books or watched movies that I thought made sense to me and the time but really they didn't until I read them later as an adult or heard others talking about them.
     In the beginning there is a sentence that says "The resort owner tries everything to save his resort, while neglecting his marriage (and having an affair in the barn loft) and destroying old social/business relationships (and his relationships with his aging regulars)." This sentence stands out to me because when someone is trying so hard to do their work or own a business it is very difficult to do things in the home and keep relationships together. There comes a point where they have to choose if they care more about work or more about keeping a family together.
     As the story goes on it is written in one large paragraph which I think is interesting because it is not just focused on one memory it is focused on what seems to be a childhood or a few years of memories. I think that the story is trying to tell people that they need to remember about family because then it says his dad had cancer. Well his dad needed people to be there for him when he had cancer and when one thing goes crumbling down it seems like everything else around you does too. You need to keep your head up and in the end things will work out the way they are suppose to.

1 comment:

  1. I've gotten behind on reading, but good responses here the past 3 weeks. I can tell you've been reading and thinking about the essays. Nice work here.

    ReplyDelete