Monday, February 18, 2013

Blog Post 5

     This fiction packet was my favorite out of the 3 packets. I think I really liked this one because it was combined with short and long stories. All the stories we have read so far really do make you think about the real meaning or about the underlying meaning. The best story in this packet I think is "What mother told us" I really like this story for many reasons but mostly because it makes me remember my childhood.
     The author says "we did not hear it when our mother said that word: don't" This line is really funny to me because all little children cannot hear that word. No one likes to admit it but it is the truth even adults don't like to be told what to do. It is the worst for children though because when you say that word then automatically you want to go and do that thing. It is interesting that someone would write a story about this topic. It is so simple and it makes you think if there is something else the author is trying to say. Maybe the author wants to reminisce on childhood memories or maybe they are trying to say something about their mother.
     Most stories the topic seems obvious but in most cases it really isn't. The author is doing the right thing by coming up with underlying meanings. The other story that was short and interesting was "The death of the right fielder" is there another meaning from this story. The story ends weird and you would think it is about a man that died but is the author trying to say something about baseball. I am not very good at coming up with the real meanings to stories. I enjoy reading all of them but I really do like reading novels better then reading these shorter stories.

1 comment: